This may seem like a strange topic for a motorbike site to blog about. However, we think that it is a fairly important one for several reasons:
- Is that anyone and everyone may need an organ donation at some point in their life: – Your brother, sister, mother, father, son or daughter. This could be for a multitude of reasons, and our thinking is that if that’s the case, we’d want organs to be readily available for any of our kin, so we are willing to offer our organs should they be needed, in the hope that others will do the same.
- You may or may not be aware of our “nick name” in A&E departments across the world as “Organ Donors”. We choose to partake in an activity, so awesomely dangerous that we have earnt the title, that shows we are prepared to die every time we go out so we should probably put our bodies to good use and Register to Donate.
Biker (N. bi-ker):
A person who takes a tank full of flammable liquid, places it on top of a hot moving engine then puts the entire thing between their legs.
As bikers, SMIDSY thinks that bikes are in a position, whereby not only would we be more likely to need an organ donation, but certainly more likely to be in a position to be able to give one. You can only do this however if you have signed up to Donate.
The real questions though are:
– Are you already an organ donor?
- If you are then please pat yourself on the back! Share this link and move on to the next question.
- If you are not then, please seriously think about logging onto the site below and signing up Register to Donate
– If you are a donor, does anyone know?
A shocking statistic is that almost half of all opportunities for organ donation are declined in London, often because families don’t know what their relative wanted. However, this rises to almost 91% when the decision to be an organ donor is known.
Bikers are the only group of people I know, where as strangers we can go to an event, and talk to people we’ve never met before about a subject we love. Through the years we’ve received help from and helped people around the country (and the world) on the basis that we’re bikers! We see charity rides weekly, we see and have been to ride outs for those who have wanted a funeral procession of bikers, where we turn up solely for our fallen brethren – we live not only for the biking community, but for the community at large.
So with that in mind, it makes sense that we would want to continue to give to the community should the worst happen and allow our legacy to live on, not only in our own families but the families of those we’ve helped save the lives of!
Hopefully this has made you think a bit about Organ Donation, and while this is aimed at the UK we are sure most countries will have a register to sign up for.
Even if you do not want to sign up, for whatever reason – Please share this far and wide, to help get the message out regarding not only signing up to the donate, but to letting family know that this is your wish!
If you want some more information please click About Organ Donation.