This currently feels like it’s quickly becoming an “age old topic” amongst bikers, up there with are people on up to 125’s real bikers and should you nod at learners (other articles maybe?).
So from my experience, there appears to be a number of reasons, for and against below are a few mentioned:
- Drivers instantly take notice, and automatically slow down.
- Hi-vis is, well…… highly visible.
- They are legal (as qualified by the met).
- May help prevent accidents.
- Even though completely legal, a lot of motorists and bikers feel it is too much like impersonating the old bill.
- If you don’t think it’s like impersonating the police, then the majority of those who don’t wear them will say it’s you just look ridiculous.
- Some will argue that given the amount of Hi-Vis around now, this is simply not as effective as it used to be – and it is only helpful, when you stand out from your surroundings.
For me, I don’t like them and I tend to believe that people who wear them are doing so as they intentionally want to mislead other road users. If they’re happy and it works for them, then more power to them.
So what about normal hi-vis?
Well the conclusion of one study showed less conspicuous clothing may increase the risk of motorcycle crash related injury.
Increasing the use of reflective or fluorescent clothing, white or light coloured helmets, and daytime headlights are simple, cheap interventions that could considerably reduce motorcycle crash related injury and death.
This seems to be a given, and I know that when I take my daughter out on my bike, she always wears a hi-vis jacket, she loves it as it’s bright pink and I feel safer in the knowledge that we should be seen more easily and less likely to have an accident.
However If I am out on my own, or with my girlfriend as pillion neither of us wears hi-vis…Why? Well sitting here writing this article, the only reason I can come up with is because of vanity. I feel like a tit and in my opinion I look like one.
So what about you? Do you wear hi-vis out on your bike? Do you condone or mock others? More importantly is “Polite Notice” hi-vis acceptable to you?